Your Privacy is Important to Us
What kind of personal information does CCCM collect and how does CCCM collect it?
The type of information CCCM collects and holds includes (but is not limited to) personal information, including sensitive information about:
Students and parents and/or guardians before, during and after the course of a student’s enrolment at CCCM;
Job applicants, staff members, volunteers and contractors; and
Other people who come into contact with CCCM
Personal Information you provide
CCCM will generally collect personal information held about an individual by way of forms filled out online by Parents or Students, in person over the counter or by telephone. On occasion, people other than Parents and students may provide personal information.
Personal Information provided by other people
In some circumstances CCCM may be provided with personal information about an individual from a third party, for example a reference from another school or tutor.
Exception in Relation to Employee Records
How will CCCM use the Personal Information you provide?
CCCM will use personal information it collects from you for the primary purpose of enrolling a student in a program at CCCM, and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose and reasonably expected, or to which you have consented, such as to communicate with the parent/student regarding fees, activities, cancellations or other important information.
Students and Parents
In relation to personal information of students and Parents, CCCM’s primary purpose of collection is to enable the music education of your child. This includes satisfying both the needs of Parents and the needs of the student throughout the whole period the student is enrolled at CCCM.
The purposes for which CCCM uses personal information of students and Parents include:
- To keep Parents informed about matters related to their child’s music education , through correspondence, newsletters and magazines;
- Day-to-day administration;
- Looking after students’ educational, social and medical well-being and safety;
- Seeking donations and marketing for CCCM;
- To satisfy CCCM’s legal obligations and allow CCCM to discharge its duty of care;
- For reporting statistics to the Department of Education (personal names are not included but we will divulge details such as ethnicity, age, and Aboriginality for this purpose;
- If required, parent information may be sent to an external debt collection agency for the recovery of fees.
In some cases where CCCM requests personal information about a student or Parent, if the information requested is not obtained, CCCM may not be able to enrol or continue the enrolment of the student.
Job Applicants, Staff Members and Contractors
In relation to personal information of job applicants, staff members and contractors, CCCM’s primary purpose of collection is to assess and engage a suitable applicant, staff member
or contractor. The purposes for which CCCM uses the personal information of job applicants, staff members and contractors include:
- In administering the individual’s employment or contract, as the case may be;
- For insurance purposes;
- For reporting to the Department of Education;
- To satisfy CCCM’s legal obligations, for example, in relation to child protection legislation.
CCCM also obtains personal information about volunteers who assist in its functions or conduct associated activities such as building maintenance, office administration, marketing activities, to enable CCCM and the volunteers to work together.
Marketing and Fundraising
CCCM treats marketing and seeking donations for its future growth and development as an important part of ensuring that CCCM continues to be a quality learning environment in which
both students and staff thrive. Parents, staff, contractors and other members of the wider CCCM community may from time to time receive fundraising information. CCCM publications, like newsletters and magazines, which include personal information, may be used for marketing purposes.
Who might CCCM disclose Personal Information to?
CCCM may disclose personal information, including sensitive information, held about an individual to:
- A school;
- Government departments;
- Medical practitioners;
- People providing services to CCCM, including for example, specialist visiting teachers;
- Recipients of CCCM publications, like newsletters and magazines;
- Outside debt collection for non-payment of fees;
- Parents; and
- Anyone you authorise CCCM to disclose information to.
How does CCCM treat Sensitive Information?
In referring to ‘sensitive information’, CCCM means: information relating to a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade association
membership, sexual preferences or criminal record, that is also personal information; and health information about an individual. Sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise, or the use or disclosure of the sensitive information is allowed by law.
Management and Security of Personal Information
CCCM’s staff are required to respect the confidentiality of students’ and Parents’ personal information and the privacy of individuals.
CCCM has in place steps to protect the personal information held from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by use of various methods including locked storage or paper records and pass-worded access rights to computerised records.
Updating Personal Information
CCCM is required to ensure that the personal information records it holds are accurate, complete and up-to-date, particularly in terms of the ATO, superannuation and in times of emergency. A CCCM staff member must update their personal information held by CCCM by contacting the administration and completing an Information Form or completing the online form which is on a secured website URL.
The National Privacy Principles require CCCM not to store personal information longer than necessary.
You have the right to check what personal information CCCM holds about you.
Under the Commonwealth Privacy Act, an individual has the right to obtain access to any personal information which CCCM holds about them and to advise CCCM of any perceived inaccuracy. There are some exceptions to this right set out in the Act. Students will generally have access to their personal information through their Parents, but older students may seek access themselves. To make a request to access any information CCCM holds about you or your child, please contact the Financial Controller in writing.
CCCM may require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. CCCM may charge a fee to cover the cost of verifying your application and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested. If the information sought is extensive, CCCM will advise the likely cost in advance.
Consent and Rights of Access to the Personal Information of Students
CCCM respects every Parent’s right to make decisions concerning their child’s education. Generally, CCCM will refer any requests for consent and notices in relation to the personal
information of the student to the student’s Parents. CCCM will treat consent given by Parents as consent given on behalf of the student, and notice to Parents will act as notice given to the student. Parents may seek access to personal information held by CCCM about them or their child by contacting the Financial Controller. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where release of the information would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, or where the release may result in a breach of CCCM’s duty of care to the student. CCCM may, at its discretion, on the request of a student grant that student access to information held by CCCM about them, or allow a student to give or withhold consent to the use of their personal information, independently of their Parents. This would normally be done only when the maturity of the student and/or the student’s personal circumstances so warranted.
Standard Collection Notice
In respect of collecting information of a personal or sensitive nature the following Standard Collection Notice shall apply:
- CCCM collects personal information including sensitive information about students and parents or guardians before and during the course of a student’s enrolment at CCCM. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable CCCM to provide musical education for your son/daughter. This includes satisfying the needs of parents and guardians and the needs of the student throughout the whole period he/she is enrolled.
- Some of the information we collect is to satisfy CCCM’s legal obligations, particularly to enable CCCM to discharge its duty of care.
- Health information about students is sensitive information within the terms of the National Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act. We require medical reports about students from time to time. If you do not consent to us obtaining this information you must advise us.
- CCCM, from time to time has to disclose certain personal information and sensitive information to others. This includes government departments, medical practitioners, publications and people providing services to CCCM, including specialist visiting teachers.
- If we do not obtain the information referred to above we may not be able to continue the enrolment of your son/daughter.
- Personal information collected from students is regularly disclosed to their parents and guardians. On occasions it is published in CCCM newsletters and magazines.
- Parents may seek access to personal information collected about them and their children by contacting CCCM. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where the release would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others or where release may result in a breach of CCCM’s duty of care to the student.
- If you provide CCCM with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, you should inform them that you are disclosing that information to CCCM and why, that they can access that information if they wish and CCCM does not usually disclose the information to third parties.
If you would like further information about the way CCCM manages the personal information it holds, please contact the Financial Controller