I’ve recently discovered that I like cottage cheese. As a child, the look of it was enough to turn me off – but a friend of mine recently introduced me to toast with Vegimite and cottage cheese and I decided that it wasn’t all that bad… So, I went looking at what else I could do with cottage cheese and came up with pancakes. This recipe is quick, easy and full of goodness – who doesn’t love pancakes?!
Makes 12-15 pancakes
150g rolled oats
500g reduced-fat cottage cheese
6 extra large eggs, whites only
1 banana, cut into 2cm pieces
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Put all of the ingredients into the Thermomix bowl and blend with the measuring cup (MC) on for 20 seconds/Speed 8
2. Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and cover the surface with cooking spray
3. In batches, pour the pancake mixture into the pan int 10-12cm rounds; leaving 3-5cm in between the pancakes
4. Cook for 2–3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes
5. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes
6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 until all of the batter has been used; re-spray the pan between batches
The options are limited! Some of my favourites are:
1. Honey and lemon juice
2. Berries – either fresh or heated – and drizzled with honey
Tips and Hints
1. If the batter is too thick, add some milk or water to make it thinner. If the batter is too runny, add some more oats and blend for 2-3 seconds/Speed 8.
2. You may need to turn the heat down on the pan as you cook the pancakes to stop them from burning before the insides are cooked.
3. To make it easier to spoon the mixture into the pan (the blades get in the way towards the end), pour the pancake mixture into a mixing bowl.
4. These pancakes are intentionally not sweetened because this is provided by your toppings.