A frittata is a variation on an omelette. Any combination of meat, vegetables and cheese are held together with beaten eggs. Some recipes will cook these on the stove, some will finish them off in the oven and others (like this recipe) are baked in the oven.
You can make one big frittatas and cut it into slices or mini frittatas which are great for meals on the go. They’re easy to make and look impressive too!
I’ve gone with a vegetarian version for this recipe, and I’m keeping it simple with just 2 fillings – zucchini and halloumi. However, you can toss in any softer vegetables that you have in your kitchen – corn, broccoli, spinach, kale – even cherry tomatoes. You can also experiment with different cheeses – try crumbling feta or goats cheese – or add some grated tasty, cheddar or mozarella cheese.
Mini Zucchini and Haloumi Frittatas
- 3 zucchini chopped into 3cm pieces
- 250 g haloumi cut into 1.5-2cm pieces
- 4 large free range eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- Salt and pepper to season
- Oil to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and grease a 12-hole muffin pan
- Chop zucchini in the Thermomix for 4 seconds | Speed 4. Remove into a mixing bowl
- Grate haloumi in the Thermomix for 5 seconds | Speed 4. Add to mixing bowl with zucchini
- Add salt and pepper to the mixing bowl and combine ingredients
- Divide the zucchini and haloumi mixture evenly into each hole in the muffin pan; leave about 0.5cm from the top so the egg doesn’t overflow
- In a measuring jug, add all of the eggs and whisk together
- Divide the egg mixture evenly into each hole in the muffin pan – fill until zucchini and haloumi mixture is just covered
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the egg is set
You may also like…
No Thermomix? Dice zucchini into 0.5cm pieces and grate haloumi instead.
[Last updated: July 20, 2014]